For the most part, the eggrolls are pretty easy to make; however, there are a few unusual ingredients in the recipe but there's no reason to become intimidated and give up. My advice is to visit your local super market and ask for help in finding what you need. This particular recipe calls for tamarind. What the heck is tamarind? Answer: tamarind is the fruit of a tall tree that grows in Asia and North Africa. Its pods are about five inches long and contain seeds and a pulp that become extremely sour when dried. Ultimately, it’s a central ingredient in Worcestershire sauce.
Here are some helpful tips before making this dish:
- Make your dipping sauce first.
- This recipe only makes 4 egg rolls, so if you are sharing with someone (like IHB), double, triple, quadruple the recipe.
- Use large avocados.
- If you decide to fry the egg rolls, make sure that your oil stays at a constant heat of 375 degrees (my first one got very crispy, really fast). I used a cooking thermometer. You can also bake them for a healthier option (400 degrees).
- 3-4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 pinch powdered saffron
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green onions
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Stir together vinegars, tamarind, honey, and saffron in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 1 minute. Stir until tamarind is dissolved.
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, & diced
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 egg roll wraps
- 1 egg, beaten
Position a wrapper so that a corner is pointing toward you; fold the bottom corner up, 1/4 of the way over the filling. Brush remaining corners and edges of the wrapper with egg, roll up from side to side, fold top corner over all and press to seal.
Repeat with remaining wrappers. Continue by deep-frying the egg rolls in 375 degree oil for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Slice egg rolls diagonally across middle and serve with prepared dipping sauce.
- Chicken egg rolls
- Egg noodles